Morning Brew: How I Pivoted my Fashion Design to Changing Times

Join AIGA Colorado for our virtual Morning Brew Series! It is more important than ever to stay connected so join us for a short 30 minute presentation from industry professionals regarding the topics of health, the future of design, or community.

Now the Good Stuff....

Fashion, by definition, is ever changing. Like other design disciplines, fashion is influenced by what’s happening all around us: whether it be our fantasies, what’s happening in our culture, political strife, environmental factors, and even when the reality of a pandemic hits.

Mona Lucero, Denver fashion designer, talks about how her design philosophy helps her business endure through many challenges; how it helps her business to adapt quickly and succeed through changing times; and where she believes fashion will go next.

Join us as we look at her diversity of designs starting in the 80´s with oversized clothing, continuing into the 90’s with funky, fresh clubwear and through Spring 2020 with the creation of stylish masks which she has integrated into the rest of her line. And finally, she’ll consider the possibilities of where fashion and her designs will go next.

Learn about how listening to your customers and being ready to change can help you sustain and be successful in the face of dramatic times - all while staying true to your brand.

Speaker Bio:

Fashion designer Mona Lucero believes in the symbiotic relationship of art and fashion.

The first thing she wanted to be was an artist. Indeed, Mona’s first memory is of creating a piece of art as a small girl. She vividly remembers drawing her sleeping grandmother’s portrait with a crayon. Voila! She thought the drawing captured her perfectly and at that moment, she knew what she wanted to be when she grew up.

She believes clothing and style are ultimately about expression. It’s another form of communication and she incorporates art concepts into her designs with themes such as “Fellini-esque” and “Love, Peace & Truth”.

Her work has appeared in 5280 Magazine, City Magazine, and 303 Magazine. She spoke on 1960’s fashion for the “1968 Exhibit” at History Colorado Center. She was listed as one of “100 Colorado Creatives” and is a Fashion Mastermind as designated by Westword Magazine.

Among many unique projects, she’s created clothing for a tortoise and a hare in conjunction with a children’s book. She designed and created a dress on Colorado’s Royal Gorge Bridge for their "Come Across" promotional campaign and she was the subject of the short documentary called “Art & Style: Mona Lucero” which focused on a year of her life as a designer. Recently, she was interviewed on Denver CBS 4 for a story on how she began mask making during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Speaker Links:

  • MonaLucero.com
  • mona@monalucero.com
  • https://www.facebook.com/monalucerodesignstudio/
  • https://www.facebook.com/shopmonalucero/
  • Instagram: @shop_mona_lucero
  • Instagram: @monaluceroofficial

For This Event

We are asking for a suggested donation of $5.00 and will be donating 90% of the proceeds to our speakers and partners for Morning Brew. The remaining 10% will go to the AIGA Colorado Chapter to help with our overhead costs, future programming, and scholarships for students during this time.

This presentation will be recorded and sent to everyone who has registered in a recap email.

Videos and mics will be muted for all attendees throughout the call. If you have any questions, please add them in the Q & A in Zoom. We’ll stay on the call for about 10 minutes afterward to answer questions.

To keep the conversation going afterwards, please join our AIGA Colorado Slack Channel #morning-brew.

A few house rules:

Given the short time of these presentations, please make sure your camera and microphone are turned off. Q & A’s at the end will be taken via Zoom Chat. Please note, we will be recording this session for our community members later, including Q & A's. If you would rather have a private discussion, feel free to contact us after we’ve ended the recording.

Feel free to sit back, sip your morning brew, and enjoy!

When & Where
Thu, Jun 25, 2020 8:00 AM - 8:30 AM MDT