There isn't one route to a career in UX. UX practitioners often have diverse and varied backgrounds. So what makes a UX practitioner successful in finding a job? And what does it take to excel in the field? As a UX consultant and instructor for Nielsen Norman Group, every month Maria meets and trains hundreds of UX practitioners from around the world, across virtually every sector. She also carried out research on careers in UX, which you can find published in a free report on the NN/g website. In this session, Maria will share some of the insights from this research, as well as her personal experiences, and how they can be applied to those looking to find their place in the field and to be successful.
Some of the topics to be covered include:
- Diversification in UX roles: what roles are out there? What do these roles involve? What skills are needed?
- Which skills are most important to be successful in UX
- How to sell your prior experience, even if it's not related
- How to build confidence in the field
(Link to the free report for further reading: https://www.nngroup.com/reports/user-experience-careers/)
Maria Rosala is a User Experience Specialist at Nielsen Norman Group. Maria first studied Art and Design, then Philosophy, spent a brief stint in IT project management, before pursuing a career in UX research. Maria joined Nielsen Norman Group in 2018, where she conducts independent research for NN/g, as well as for clients. She also teaches courses at the NN/g UX Conference.
Connect with Maria:
- NN/g profile: https://www.nngroup.com/people/maria-rosala/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/maria_rosala
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/maria-rosala-21252773/